Commemoration of the National Gender and Equality Commission 10th Anniversary
On 30th August, 2021: Cabinet Secretary, Prof. Margaret Kobia, presided over the National Gender and Equality Commission (NGEC) 10 years anniversary commemoration at Kenya School of Government.
The National Gender and Equality Commission commemorated 10 years since its establishment under the theme “Promoting Gender Equality and Freedom from Discrimination for Special Interest Groups”.
In her address, Prof. Kobia highlighted the need to reflect on the progress made in tackling barriers that hinder equal opportunities for both women and men reaching full potential.
“Today’s celebrations are a significant milestone realized over a long journey. While I recognize the country has made significant strides, the data on Global Gender Gap indicates visible barriers to an equal society for both men and women,” she said.
The Cabinet Secretary emphasised the need to partner and collaborate to address challenges and accelerate realization of gender equality in the country, noting that attaining Gender Equality requires a well-coordinated multi-sectoral approach.
Prof. Kobia recognised some of the gains that have been made including the significant increase of women in leadership and decision making at the Executive, Judiciary and Legislative levels.
Cabinet Secretary, Hon. Eugene Wamalwa, committed to work with the Commission towards gender equality advancement. “We at the Ministry of Devolution look forward to working together to achieve gender equality both at the County and National levels,” he said.
During the event, the Cabinet Secretary also launched key publications on gender equality and inclusion, which are:
- Scorecard for the evaluation of progress made by the State in the implementation of the Protocol to the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights on the Rights of Women in Africa (The Maputo Protocol scorecard);
- A Guide for County Government Leadership: Integration of Gender Equality, Inclusion in County Development;
- The 2019 Kenya Population and Housing Census: An Observation Report of the National Gender and Equality Commission: Emerging Issues, Gaps, Good Practices and Recommendations;
- Equality and Inclusion of Refugees in Kenya: A Mission to Kakuma Operation Centre and Kalobeyei Integrated Socio-Economic Development Settlement Program in Turkana County; and
- An Introduction of Gender Based Violence in Emergencies (GBVIE).
Also in attendance was Ms. Betty Sungura-Nyabuto, NGEC CEO; Commissioner Dr. Chomba Munyi, NGEC Vice chairperson; Dr. Joyce Mutinda, NGEC Chairperson among others.
By Jacqueline Kirimi